Sunday, June 19, 2011

Grandpa Bob

This past Thursday June 16, 2011 my Grandfather Bob Foley unexpectedly passed away.

 
It all started last weekend when my my Grandma and Grandpa came over Saturday and Sunday and spent all day with us. That's a huge deal because my Grandpa doesn't stick around very long. He usually eats and then is ready to leave, but they stayed all day long and we loved it. We had so much fun! Then he went to the doctor on Wednesday for a check up. He recently just started a new type of Chemo and he was doing really well, well we thought he was. Thursday morning he did his usual coffee run to McDonald's, took a nap, and then decided to mow the yard. After just a little bit of mowing my Grandma heard the mower shut off and she thought he was just putting gas in the mower then a lady came to her door and said "You're husband's laying in the yard" You're husband's laying in the yard? I can't even imagine what my Grandma was thinking or how she reacted to the situation. If i was in her shoes I would have broke down and lost it and I am sure she did. She ran to the back yard and my Grandpa was lying on his side and he told her he thinks he passed out. My Grandma asked him if he was in any pain at all and he told her no. There were men outside working on the house next to them and she told them to call 911 so they did and within minutes the ambulance showed up. They rushed him to the hospital.

It was around 11:30 when I was in the basement getting ready to change clothes to get in the pool, when I heard foot steps, so I went upstairs and saw my mom's boss standing in our kitchen so I knew something was wrong. When I got upstairs my mom was running down the hallway crying so hard I could barely understand her and she told me what had happened. My dad got home from work a couple minutes later and they left for the hospital and Lindsay and I weren't far behind. On our way to the hospital I just kept telling myself he was doing too much. He got too hot. He shouldn't have been mowing. I wonder how Grandma is doing. Is she with him? I wonder how Grandpa is doing now, did they make it to the hospital yet? I remember out of nowhere getting the worse feeling in my stomach ever, like I could get sick and I happen to look at the time and it was 12:21. Within 10 minutes my phone rang and it was my dad and his exact words were "Kelsey? Grandpa didn't make it Hun. They did everything they could, but he didn't make it" His time of death was 12:14. The doctors and everyone thinks he died of a heart attack.


As soon as I hung up the phone I called the most important person to me, who I needed to talk to the most besides my Mom and Grandma, Stefan! He was already at the hospital because he was working. I could tell he started running to the ER as soon as I told him because of his voice and I heard him start putting his stuff away. My Grandpa loved Stefan just as much as he loved all of us. If Stefan wasn't with me when they were around, before Grandpa would even say Hi to me, he would ask where Stefan was. He loved sharing stories with him and he loved hearing Stefan's stories (he might have been the only one, Ha! Just kidding Stef) My biggest regret is he won't be at our wedding. That breaks my heart so much but I know he is in a much better place. Stefan keeps telling me it sucks on our end but for him he is in a much better place. He doesn't have to go through chemo, or blood tests, or full body scans. My Grandma keeps saying God wanted him to go now before the cancer got worse and if that's the case, Thank you God! I am so glad he didn't suffer and wasn't in any pain.


We have been spending the past 3 days at my Grandma's with her. She has gotten so many visitors and lots of food and it means so much to all of us. Stefan has been there every day for me and I love him so much for that. Joe and Amy left for vacation this morning so they aren't here and I really wish they were! I could really use my friends right now, but I know they are having a great time on vacation with Amy's mom and dad! Being with my family though is making it 10x better. Even times like this we always have good times together and that's so important, to make memories to move on with.

His visitation will be held Monday night and his funeral on Tuesday! I don't usually do this but I want to ask everyone to PLEASE keep my family and I in your thoughts and prayers and pray that we get through these next couple of days especially tomorrow on Father's day. It's going to be so hard on my mom, I can't even imagine losing my Dad! And pray that my Grandma gets through this. I know she's going to have her good days and bad days, but I am already worried about her being alone. She hasn't been alone in over 55 years.

We love and miss you so much Grandpa. We know you are in a better place right now and you will always be with us. 

5 comments:

Colleen said...

Nicely done..Love the pictures and all you guys !!!
Colleen

rosie said...

What a nice tribute to your Grandpa. He was a very good man Ill never forget his since of humor.

Tracy said...

This is beautiful! I saw Bob everyday at Mcdonalds. Will miss him dearly! Everytime i make a pot of decaf i think of him! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!

H. Schwarting said...

Dear Kelsey, I came across your blog awhile back, and I have so enjoyed reading it. This post about your Grandpa made me cry! It is so sweet and I'm sure it was somewhat helpful in dealing with this. I lost my Grandpa in a similar way the year that you were in my class. The only way I can describe the experience is that it is like having the rug pulled out from beneath you. No one is ever prepared for such a sudden loss. I am keeping your family in my thoughts, and wish strength for all of you and especially your Grandma in the days ahead. Take care, Miss Schwarting

Jess said...

Kelsey this post was so touching and I know your Grandpa will love it! It is so hard losing your Grandpa-- so darn hard and hurts so much :[ I am so very sorry and I am thinking of you all so so much and haven't stopped thinking of you! Just remember he is always above watching over you and your family and smiling down... it makes the sad times so much better! LOVE you guys!